Consumer Action Network (CAN) is offering an 8 to 12 week unpaid internship program upper class undergraduate and graduate students who are interested in mental health advocacy. This is an excellent opportunity for students to gain hands-on experience with: non-profit fundraising, grant-writing, fiscal planning, mental health advocacy, data analysis and report writing.
CAN is a 501(3c) serving people in the District of Columbia who receive government supported mental health services, including those in hospitals, homeless shelters, group homes, and independent living. We promote rights and recovery through training, outreach, and advocacy.
- Assist in developing a sustained income for CAN to continue implementing projects and expand into new areas.
- Research funding sources are best suited for CAN’s mission and objectives Complete and submit funding applications
- Develop online campaigns through social networking and/or organization’s website
- Think creatively about alternative sources of funding, and implement any feasible plans you may develop
- Advanced coursework, degrees or experience in marketing, finance or other related degrees would be an advantage. Candidates will also need to demonstrate interest or experience in the non-profit/development sector.
- Proven entrepreneurial spirit and drive
- Impeccable oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work well independently and on small teams while managing multiple priorities
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite
- To have empathy and an avid interest in helping mental health consumers in the DC community
- To have an interest in learning what issues and challenges mental health consumers face particularly those that impinge upon their rights and recovery such as physical health conditions, housing status, involvement with the legal system, employment, treatment by providers, stigma
- Direct experience as, or family of, a mental health consumer is a plus
We’re Glad You’re Here
Thank you for taking the time to learn about volunteer opportunities at CAN.
- Currently we are looking for volunteers for our mentoring program.
Interested in an internship or you want to volunteer on a project, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org